Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Fresh in 07.03.2012

The latest fresh Fish in to the STORE!


We got our first shipment of Fresh Ocean Smelt today! These are smaller silvery fish that are about 6 inches in length and 1 to 1 1/2 inches diameter. These can easily be cleaned and pan fried. Actually, I usually hear that is how most people eat these smaller fish. I've never tried it personally, perhaps I need to this season.


There are some pretty interesting facts about this fish, but I find this the most intriguing.


-They are also known as "Candlefish" This nickname comes from the fact that the smelt are so full of oil that when dried, placed upright, and lit, the fish would burn from end to end like a candle. 
(I want to try that...but I think that wouldn't be a very pleasant fragrance )


There are some nice historic references found here. Also included is a basic recipe.


Looks like these have also been recently tagged as being a threatened species. Particularly here in the North West.
Info. about that here.


Also in are Fresh Iwashi, or Sardines!




These I've had, but only grilled like Saba, Mackerel. While that is tasty, it's hard to avoid all the little bones! 
Iwashi Shoyuyaki is a pretty common Japanese way to prepare this fish.


So that's in and Fresh these days! Stop By!


On a completely different note, I will try and locate the download cable to my digital camera to add pictures to all this stuff. Hang on! should be coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment