Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

Smokey fish... but only slightly

So I do this kind of crazy thing.  I should preface this by saying: I sometimes feel like a little alder smoked salmon.  When I was younger, much younger, I liked the salmon at Ivar's Salmon House. I don't care much for it now... too dry. I've tried using smoker bags, the ones you find in many seafood departments in grocery stores, but those tend to cook smaller pieces of fish too much, too fast.  I'm only one person.

Here is my little experiment for today.

3/4 lb. Sockeye (1-1/4" at its thickest point) - lightly season with salt, pepper, & paprika.

Place some alder chips into a sturdy piepan (I think mine was originally from Marie Callender's) . Cover with heavy duty foil, seal it up, and indent a bit around the inner edge to catch any released juices.
Poke about 8-10 small holes around that inner edge of the indented foil with the pointy side of a bamboo skewer.
Place seasoned fish on foil.
Cover with another piece of foil and seal well.
Turn stove burner (I have electric) to medium high heat.
Place pietin directly on burner.  Wait a minute or 2, then turn heat down to medium low.
Time it for about 13-15 minutes.

The end result was moist, had a light smokey tinge in flavor, and the fish retained its wonderful color. I was pleased.

I ate half before it occured to me that I should taken a picture!  Here's the best I could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment